March is Stress Awareness month and with more people than ever experiencing stress, having effective treatments to help them can make all the difference.
Dunni Edebor, a student at Richdales, shared with us recently how she helped a client who had problems sleeping, felt constantly stressed and was having problems rotating her shoulders.
The client experienced significant relief after Dunni’s first treatment feeling like a ‘huge load had been taken off her shoulders’.
Dunni shared with us the client’s history and the specific treatment she carried out on the client …
The client, a 45 year old female, who works as a Management consultant presented as relatively healthy but complained of back pain, lower back problem and tight shoulders.
The quality of her life was being impacted; specifically she wasn’t getting a good night’s sleep and felt constantly tense.
She was also experiencing difficulties rotating her shoulders.
Given the conditions that the client presented with Dunni focussed on these areas of the client’s body:
- Shoulders – Trapezius, Suprapinatus, Infraspinatus, Rhomboids, Erector Spinae
- Neck – Sternocleidomastoid (SCM), Splenius Capitis and Levator Scapulae
- Lower back – External Oblique, Erector Spinae, Gluteus Medius & Maximus
She performed the following strokes to achieve specific outcomes for her client:
- Effleurage: to stimulate circulation and improve lymphatic flow and promote relaxation with slow movements
- Kneading/Petrissage: to stretch tight fascia and muscle fibres. The use of warm tissues also helped ease tension & relieve pain
- Friction: to free up areas of deep seated tension & help disperse nodules in Trapezius, Erector Spinae & SCM
- Wringing & cupping: helps create heat and aids in removing adhesion build up in muscle fibers and helps regain flexibility and mobility.
Dunni used a base oil of Almond as it is an excellent emollient. It is softening and soothing to the skin and helps the skin to balance its loss and absorption of moisture. Almond oil is suitable for all skin types.
The client returned for a follow-up treatment with Dunni, and was able to go through her experience after the previous treatment. The client had two large boils break out the day after the treatment which had burst and then cleared within two days.
The client said it felt like a huge load had been taken off her shoulders. She felt supple and all the pain she felt on her shoulders, neck and lower back disappeared and felt relaxed afterwards.
She also expressed that she was sure that she was carrying a lot of tension and that immediately the boils burst and dried she was very renewed and was totally rekindled with energy and slept very well afterwards.
This is a great example of how therapists can help clients and we’re grateful to Dunni for sharing her experience with this client.