We’re big advocates of training and education and it really shouldn’t stop after school. You get so much joy and all sorts of confidence boosts from learning new things it seems stupid to stop at a young age.
In this piece we take a look at how we love learning, how it forms such a big part of our lives and why we should definitely continue learning into adulthood.
Learning happens every day
From the moment your born you start learning and you keep on learning every day. You start informally and learning basic skills, you move on to basic language and walking and before you know it you’re enrolled in school.
Here the learning takes shape you become a well educated person ready for adult life. You may go to college or university and extend your learning a few more years but after that it slows down considerably.
This doesn’t mean you should stop altogether. It doesn’t mean you have finished your desire for learning new things. You can continue learning new things. Whether that is done formally through an adult training centre such as ourselves or informally by taking up a new hobby such as mountain biking or surfing, it doesn’t matter.
Adult learning is good for you.
Why you shouldn’t stop after school or university
We’ve quickly touched upon why you should carry on learning into your adult years but let’s consider exact reasons why you should carry on after school or university.
- Personal development – First and most importantly you will increase your personal development. Knowing more things makes you more confident, more interesting and well equipped to deal with any of life’s many unexpected challenges.
- Confidence and self esteem – Training as an adult or at any time gives you a great confidence boost. Your self esteem is much higher because you’re happy with yourself, proud of yourself.
- The chance to improve your life – In many cases learning a new skill or set of knowledge can improve your life. It might be professionally such as accountants, lawyers and therapists or it could be personally such as learning DIY. Either way you can improve the quality of your life by taking a new career step or improving living conditions.
- Improve your mental well-being – There is no doubting the benefits of having a goal and achieving that goal. It will do wonders for your well-being, not only will you have the confidence boost and a higher feeling of self worth but you will be happy. Learning makes you happy.
- The opportunity to meet new people – This thought might scare people but think about it for a second, meeting new people is great. That is how you met your partner and your best friend. That is how you met your colleague who you can trust with your thoughts. The same is true of adult learning, you might meet in a classroom or in the sea but they could become lifelong friends.
- Leave your comfort zone behind – Finally for this piece an abstract note. We as humans are often creatures of comfort and there is nothing wrong with that. However sometimes our comfort zones can really hold us back and there is nothing like leaving the comfort zones behind and trying new things.
Adult learning comes in many different shapes and sizes but whichever way you do it, it really can improve your life, your outlook and your well-being. Give it a go.