For full details and to enrol, click on the Dates/Venue/Fees/Enrol tab below
Our Sports Massage course is designed to:
- take you from a professional massage practitioner up to a professional sports massage therapist. If you already hold a recognised Level 3 Sports Massage qualification and you would like to upgrade your skills to learn functional and orthopaedic testing as well as advanced treatment techniques please see our ITEC QCF Level 4 Sports Massage Course (for those holding a Level 3 qualification in Sports Massage).
- enable you to practise professional sports massage in the UK and in many other parts of the World.
- acquire all the necessary skills to develop a successful practice in the Sport and Active Leisure industry.
Sound appealing? Enrol today and take the first step towards a successful future.
The Course Explained
As a fully qualified massage therapist, you may have been considering expanding your range of services by adding a sports massage qualification to your list of skills. After all, this is a great way to develop your career and build your business.
That’s why we ensure that the sports massage qualification you gain at Richdales is the very best available.
So how can we make such a promise?
Firstly, our sports massage courses follow the latest Qualifications Credit Framework (QCF).
This means that when the Government puts in place a National Register for Complementary Medicine, your qualification in sports massage will be automatically recognised and you will be able to work within the National Health Sector.
Secondly, as soon as you’re qualified you will be able to join any of the major professional associations and the Complementary & Natural Healthcare Council.
And finally, our strict cooperation with the QCF means that you’ll never encounter any problems getting your ITEC qualification recognised.
If you’re looking for a reputable way to build on your massage career, then Richdales is the place to study!
What You’ll Learn
You’ll discover a range of accurate, subjective and objective assessments and examination methods. This will include postural analysis, active and passive ranges of motion, functional testing and palpation, and strength and flexibility testing.
Everything you learn on the course will enable you, not only to confidently carry out a sports massage, but to tailor your treatment plans to meet the needs of your clients. Just as you do with your existing massage clients, you will be able to identify issues that may influence your treatment objectives and make sound recommendations to your clients.
You will learn how to identify sports massage strategies that may take place before, during or after an event You will be confident in devising corrective and preventative treatment plans as well as implementing cryotherapy and thermotherapy when required.
Ready to add an increasingly popular service to your treatment list? Go to the Dates/Venues/Fees/Enrol tab to find the best course dates for you.
Your Sports Massage Course - Structured For Success
As a qualified massage therapist, you’ll want to start putting your sports massage qualification to good use as quickly as possible.
After all, being able to offer such a popular and beneficial treatment will inevitably boost your career.
That’s why we continue to listen to student feedback and refine our course with the latest developments in the field.
Here’s how we ensure you get the best learning structure available:
- Your class size will be limited to ten students. This will guarantee that you receive the individual attention you need to maximise your potential. This “tight-knit” approach guarantees you of the training and support that you need to effectively learn the sports massage theories and techniques and to develop your career as efficiently as possible.
- The course is run over separate 7 days spread over approximately 7 months from our training centres in West London. This will give you ample time to understand the material and perform a sports massage treatment competently and professionally.
- The first 2 attendance slots will be closer together. This will show you enough of the practical techniques so that you can go away and start practising. You’ll also have detailed manuals and videos to help you.
- Each element of your course will be taught by a specific expert. This will ensure that you have the very best degree of knowledge and are trained to the very highest level.
Want to see how an actual class is run? Call us now on 020 8900 9005 and you can arrange to come in and experience a class in progress.
You will receive:
- ITEC QCF Certificate in Sports Massage
- Richdales Institute Diploma in Sports Massage
Who the course is for:
- Massage Practitioners looking to to become fully qualified Sports Massage Therapists and practice professionally in private practice in the Health & Active Leisure Industry, with the NHS or a part of a multidisciplinary medical sport team.
- Massage Practictioners who wish to add to their skills.
- Massage Practictioners who want to build a career in Sports Medicine.
You must hold a recognised Massage Qualification (ITEC QCF Diploma in Massage or equivalent).
Some of the topics covered on the course include:
- How to carry out a professional and effective sports massage
- The physiological and psychological effects of sports massage
- The holistic approach – treating the whole person
- How to carry out subjective and objective assessments and examination techniques
- Postural analysis and palpation
- Functional testing
- Active, passive and resisted motion ranges
- Strength and flexibility testing
- How to create and assess sports massage strategies
- How to devise sports massage strategies for before, during and after an event.
- How to create corrective, preventative and conditioning strategies
- How to use specific techniques such including Connective Tissue Management (CTM), Cross friction, Soft Tissue Release (STR) and Proprioreceptive Neuromuscular Facilitation (PNF) etc ...
- Cryotherapy and Thermotherapy
- Consent and legislation.
- Consultation methods.
- Common ailments and injuries
- Contra-indications to sports massage
- Patient/ client care
- Safety procedures in the clinic
- Procedures for client referrals
- How to devise, assess and review treatment programmes
- First aid procedures.
- Management and PR
- How to set up in practice
- How to look after your own wellbeing as a therapist
For over 25 years, Richdales has been training professional practitioners and we know that our approach is highly effective.
This is demonstrated by the fact that we have never had a student fail an ITEC Practical or Theory Examination in Sports Massage.
Most Popular Questions:
Need to know a little extra before you enrol? We’ve answered the questions most students ask us below. If you can’t find what you’re looking for, get in touch – we’re always here to help.
Will my existing massage clients benefit from sports massage?
Yes. Sports massage isn’t just intended for athletes, but for a wide range of people experiencing many different problems. Some patients may even prefer to opt for a sports massage, which is deeper and uses more pressure than regular massage treatment. Your qualification will enable you to identify factors that influence treatment options for your clients.
Will there be other massage therapists on the course?
Absolutely! You’ll be in a class of like-minded massage therapists who are looking to develop their careers by gaining a sports massage qualification. There will be no more than ten students in your class to ensure that you receive individual attention.
What qualifications do I need to join the course?
You must hold the ITEC QCF Diploma in Massage (or equivalent) to undertake this sports massage course. We do have an alternative course that includes the massage qualification as a part of the training for students who have not yet gained their massage qualification.
What happens if I fail my examinations?
This is highly unlikely. We haven’t had a student fail their ITEC Theory or Practical Examination in Sports Massage in 25 years! We will work with you to ensure that you are fully prepared for your examinations and there will be opportunities for you to come in for extra support should you need it.
Am I likely to get regular clients for sports massage therapy?
Yes. Having regular sports massages can be very beneficial in maintaining the effects, such as increased muscle elasticity and a reduction in general aches and pains. Many people who have sports massages make weekly, fortnightly or monthly appointments. You will also be able to advise your clients of how frequently they may need treatment.
Can I speak to someone before I enrol?
Of course! You can get in touch with us to discuss any questions you may have or arrange a phone conversation with our Courses Director. You can even come in and experience an actual class in progress with no obligation to commit to anything.
We are here to help you in any way we can.
Am I able to spread the cost of my training?
Yes, we are happy to offer a payment plan that spreads the cost of your training. If you prefer, you can receive a significant discount by paying in full.
I want to add sports massage to my list of services as soon as possible. When can I start the course?
Our sports massage courses begin in September and April every Academic Year. Take a look at our Course Dates and choose the date that suits you.
Robert Lewis MCGP RSA DTLLS
Michele Martin BA (Hons) CERT ED
Course dates are shown below. Click on selected date for full details
- Wednesday 10 October 2018
- Wednesday 14 November 2018
- Wednesday 12 December 2018
- Wednesday 23 January 2019
- Wednesday 13 March 2019
Tube: Alperton, Hanger Lane
Satnav: HA0 1EH (Free Parking)
Classes start at 9:30am and finish at 5.30pm.
Full Course Fees:
ITEC Certificate in Sports Massage (for those holding a qualification in Massage)
The full Course Fees include:
- Registration, Tuition and Full Professional Training
- Course Practical & Theory Manuals and Home Study Materials
- Clinical 'Getting started' Pack
- Access to Richdales Institute Virtual Learning Environment
- Richdales Institute Examination Fees
- One year's Free Membership of the Postgraduate Association
Light refreshments are available throughout the day with the Institute's compliments
One-payment discounted course fees: £495.00
Easy payment plan:
- Booking fee (payable now): £250.00
- First payment (payable 1 month before course start): £180.00
- 2 x monthly payments (first payable as course starts): £70.00
- Total payable: £570.00
All fees include VAT at the current rate of 20%