For full details and to enrol, click on the Dates/Venue/Fees/Enrol tab below
- to take you from a professional Massage Practitioner up to a professional Sports Massage Therapist. If you already hold a recognised Level 3 Sports Massage qualification and you would like to upgrade your skills to learn functional and orthopaedic testing as well as advanced treatment techniques please see our ITEC QCF Level 4 Sports Massage Course (for those holding a Level 3 qualification in Sports Massage).
- enable you to practise Sports Massage professionally in the UK and other parts of the world
- learn the skills to build a successful practice in the Sport and Active Leisure industry
- you can go on to develop you career further with Diploma Courses such as Aromatherapy, Reflexology, Indian Head Massage or CPD courses such as Advanced Massage Techniques, Hands Free Massage Techniques etc..
In order to ensure you get the right Sports Massage qualification (and don’t have any problems with the recognition of your Sports Massage qualification in the future) our Sports Massage Courses follow the latest ITEC QCF (Qualifications Credit Framework) syllabus which was introduced by the UK Government in September 2009 (and revised in September 2012).
This means that when the Government establishes a National Register for Complementary Medicine your qualification in Sports Massage will be automatically recognised and you are able to work within the National Health Sector. Once qualified you will be able to join any of the leading professional associations and the Complementary & Natural Healthcare Council.
You will learn a range of accurate subjective and objective assessment and examination methods including postural analysis, active and passive ranges of motion, strength and flexibility testing, functional testing and palpation enabling you to perform and adapt your Sports Massage treatment correctly and safely to meet the individual needs of your client.
You will learn how to devise different Sports Massage strategies for pre-event, during event and post- event treatments. You will also be confident in developing corrective and preventative strategies as well as using thermotherapy and cryotherapy when clinically indicated. You will be able to integrate the Sports Massage techniques so that you can practise professionally as solo practitioner in a gym or as a member of a sports team in a multidisciplinary setting.
You will be able to confidently identify factors that may influence your treatment objectives as well as provide clear recommendations to your client. You will learn when and how to treat a person and also importantly when not to treat. You will also learn how to build you professional practise ethically.
You gain from having different teachers teaching their individual areas of passion and expertise rather than one teacher teaching you all the elements of the Course.
Our Sports Massage Course is continually being updated and refined with the latest developments in the field and feedback from students.
The course is run over 7 Days over approximately 7 months to give students enough time to understand the material being taught and perform a Sports Massage treatment competently and professionally.
The first 2 attendance weekends are closer together so that you have enough of the practical techniques so that you can go away and start practising (with the help of our detailed manuals and videos on the virtual learning environment).
The remaining weekends are approximately every 5 weekends to give you the time to practice you Sports Massage techniques and undertake your home study. Over the years we have found that this is the timeframe that works best for most students.
Our Sports Massage Class sizes are strictly limited to 10 to ensure that each student receives the individual attention they require to help them learn and succeed.
You will receive:
- ITEC QCF Certificate in Sports Massage
- Richdales Institute Diploma in Sports Massage
Who the course is for:
- Massage Practitioners looking to to become fully qualified Sports Massage Therapists and practice professionally in private practice in the Health & Active Leisure Industry, with the NHS or a part of a multidisciplinary medical sport team.
- Massage Practictioners who wish to add to their skills.
- Massage Practictioners who want to build a career in Sports Medicine.
You must hold a recognised Massage Qualification (ITEC QCF Diploma in Massage or equivalent).
Some of the topics covered on the course include
- How to perform an effective Sports Massage.
- Physiological and psychological effects of massage.
- The Holistic Approach – treating the whole person.
- Perform subjective assessments and examination techniques
- Perform objective assessments and examination techniques
- Postural analysis and palpation
- Functional testing
- Active, Passive and Resisted Ranges of Motion
- Strength and Flexibility testing
- Devise and evaluate Sports Massage Strategies
- Devise Pre–event, During event and Post-event Sports Massage strategies
- Devise Preventative, Corrective and Conditioning Sports Massage strategies
- Specific Sports Massage Techniques such Connective Tissue Management (CTM), Cross friction, Soft tissue release (STR), Proprioreceptive Neuromuscular Facilitation (PNF) etc ...
- Thermotherapy and Cryotherapy
- Legislation and consent to Sports Massage treatment.
- Methods of consultation.
- Common ailments and common Sports Injuries
- Contra-indications to Sports Massage
- Client care
- Hygiene and safety procedures in the clinic.
- Referral procedures
- Create, evaluate and review Sports Massage treatment programmes.
- First aid procedures for the clinic.
- Management and public relations
- Setting up in practice.
- How to look after yourself as a therapist
For over 25 years, Richdales has been training professional practitioners and we know that our approach is highly effective.
This is demonstrated by the fact that we have never had a student fail an ITEC Practical or Theory Examination in Sports Massage.
Most Popular Questions:
Will an ITEC Certificate in Sport Massage enable me to practise professionally?
Yes. Completing the Sports Massage Course will enable you to practice professionally here in the UK and other parts of the world.
What types of people join the course?
Qualified Massage Practitioners who are looking to develop their skills and career by undertaking a Professional Sports Massage Course.
Do I require any qualifications to get on the course?
Yes. This is Course is for qualified Massage Practitioners only (you must hold the ITEC QCF Diploma in Massage or equivalent).
How do I know if this is the right Course for me ?
Please get in touch with us. We are here to help you find the best way forwards for YOU. (even if it means telling you that our Courses are not the right Course for you)
You can arrange to come and sit-in on a class in progress. This is not an ‘Open Day’ where everything is set up perfectly so that prospective students only get to see the things and students that the training providers want.
We are happy to give you the chance to see an actual class in progress and experience ‘the Richdales way of learning’ first hand, meet the teachers and current students of the Institute, see our professional Course venues and ask any questions you may have
You can also arrange a personal appointment (which can take place by telephone or in person) with our Courses Director to discuss any questions you may have on an individual basis.
What if I fail my examinations ?
We have a proven track record in helping students become professional Sports Massage Therapists. We have never had a student fail an ITEC Theory or Practical Examination in Massage or Sports Massage. You will be well prepared for your Examinations.
One of the advantages of studying with us is that due to new Courses starting throughout the year there are opportunities for you come in for additional support outside of your scheduled attendance weekends if necessary.
Are the tutors specialists in their field?
Yes ! Our teachers are individually selected not only for their expertise, but being passionate about teaching and helping their students develop. We use a variety of teachers to deliver the Diploma and Certificate Courses so that you benefit from their individual areas of expertise (although you will always have one teacher who is overall responsible for you).
It is a requirement that all our teachers on our Diploma and Certificate Courses -
a) have an adult teaching qualification (and therefore demonstrated a competency and proficiency in developing strategies and material for delivering teaching and learning approaches more effectively)
b) are experienced practitioners and still treating patients (so that you can benefit from the daily clinical experience)
c) regularly update their skills (so that you benefit from the latest developments rather than learning outdate theories and models)
How can I pay ?
You can pay by cash, cheque or bank transfer. To make things even easier for you we accept debit or credit card payment as well (without any additional charges).
You can spread the cost of your training by paying in regular payments.
If you want to pay in one payment you can receive a significant discount on the Course fees.
When can I start my course?
We have Courses commencing in September and April every Academic Year. Have a look at our Course Dates and choose the Course that is most convenient for you !
Robert Lewis MCGP RSA DTLLS
Michele Martin BA (Hons) CERT ED
Course dates are shown below. Click on selected date for full details
- Saturday 14 October 17
- Saturday 11 November 17
- Saturday 09 December 17
- Saturday 27 January 18
- Saturday 24 March 18
Tube: Alperton, Hanger Lane
Satnav: HA0 1EH (Free Parking)
Classes start at 9:30am and finish at 5.30pm.
Full Course Fees:
ITEC Certificate in Sports Massage (for those holding a qualification in Massage)
The full Course Fees include:
- Registration, Tuition and Full Professional Training
- Course Practical & Theory Manuals and Home Study Materials
- Clinical 'Getting started' Pack
- Access to Richdales Institute Virtual Learning Environment
- Richdales Institute Examination Fees
- One year's Free Membership of the Postgraduate Association
Light refreshments are available throughout the day with the Institute's compliments
One-payment discounted course fees: £495.00
Easy payment plan:
- Booking fee (payable now): £250.00
- First payment (payable 1 month before course start): £180.00
- 2 x monthly payments (first payable as course starts): £70.00
- Total payable: £570.00
All fees include VAT at the current rate of 20%